Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:10:35 +0100
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>
To:        "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Networking <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tcp resets with ipfw

> > > # ipfw add 1 reset tcp from any to any
> > >
> > >     While one might argue this is equivalent to doing "rm -rf /*",
> > >     many people alias rm to rm -i.
[...]
> > The problem exists for far too many commands including
> >
> >       ifconfig XXX delete
[...]
> Plus, your example takes down a system. Mine takes down the whole
> network. Imagine a hub at an ISP Colo and someone does that. *Poof*

Both commands do not take down the system (as it is still possible to
log in at the console), and both take down the outside connection of a
network if the network routes through this machine.

I agree with Luigi; whoever puts his or her fingers on ipfw and ifconfig
should know or be willing to learn what mistakes with these commands can
do to a system. Taking a system or network down is, luckily, in most
cases reversible.

BTW, aliasing "rm" to "rm -i" is a very bad idea. Sweat on your palms
when doing a "rm -rf" as root is good for remembering possible
consequences. If you rely on "rm" being "rm -i", you may tend to do so
even when the alias is not in place. Removing Files on a Unix file
system is not reversible.

Greetings, Juergen.

--
Juergen Nickelsen <ni@tellique.de>