Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:49:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Aaron Gifford <agifford@infowest.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, groudier@club-internet.fr
Subject:   Re: 4.0 fails to boot - sym troubles

cc'd to Gerard Roudier, the author of the sym driver...

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Aaron Gifford wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've got trouble.  4.0-CURRENT won't boot my system because of a
> problem with the sym driver and my Tekram 390U2W PCI SCSI3 controller
> card.   This system worked fine with 3.4-STABLE and will boot with
> a 25-Jan-2000 snapshot kernel, but all attempts to boot with a GENERIC
> kernel built after 3 Feb. 2000 fail miserably.
>
> Here are the gory details:
>
> HARDWARE:
> ---------
>   PII-350 2/64MB RAM
>   Number9 Motion 771 PCI video card
>   Tekram 390U2W PCI SCSI3 controller card
>   1 Seagate Cheetah 4 GB drive
>   1 IBM UltraStore 36GB 10KRPM drive
>   Kingston EtheRx KNE100TX PCI 10/100 NIC
>
> SOFTWARE:
> ---------
>   3.4-STABLE - Worked well and booted just fine with my hardware
>   4.0-CURRENT as of 25 Jan. 2000 - Boots just fine with my hardware
>   4.0-CURRENT anytime after 3 Feb. 2000 - PROBLEMS!  CANNOT BOOT!
>

> PROBLEM:
> --------
>
> During BOOT of the the several different 4.0-GENERIC kernels I've tried
> (I tried a 3 Feb. 2000 build, and a 9 Feb. 2000 build) the Tekram SCSI
> controller is detected thus:
>
>   sym0: <895> port 0xc800-0xc8ff mem 0xe7001000-0xe70010ff,0xe7000000-
>         0xe70000ff irq 9 at device 15.0 on pci 0
>   sym0: Tekram NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-40, LVD, parity checking
>
> Later during the boot, after the 15 second delay ("Waiting 15 seconds
> for SCSI devices to settle") the following two lines endlessly repeat
> scrolling quickly by on my console forever until I CTRL-ALT-DEL to
> force a reboot:
>
>   Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
>   sym0: SCSI parity error detected: SCR=1 DBC=72580000 SBCL=af
>   (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset detected.

[...snip...]

Herm.  I had the exact same problem recently.  I've got two IBM
DCAS-34330W's, an NEC SCSI CDROM drive, and a Sony SDT-2000 (I
think... its DDS2, anyway) DAT tape drive on a Tekram DC-390F.
Everything worked fine under 3.4, but when I upgraded to 4.0-CURRENT
recently, the same thing happened and I had to use the ncr driver
again temporarily.  I disabled Parity for the Sony DAT drive in the
SCSI controller BIOS and everything was working with the sym driver
again.  I wouldn't think either your Cheetah or the IBM drive would
have such a problem, but try disabling Parity on each device on the
bus in turn until you find the culprit.

Any idea whats happening, Gerard?

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )