Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Motherboards Box (was Since the MicroSloth(tm) jokes have been flowing...)

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, John S. Dyson wrote:

> Actually, I think that the "best" solution is to put together a dual
> motherboard box.  Network them together with a samba server on the FBSD/Linux
> motherboard.  One day, the windows emulators might be good enough to "just
> work".  However, this will give you the day-to-day reliability of a U**X clone
> providing file and networking services TODAY, with the ability to run
> MS-OFFICE (which is the real draw/virus onto the Microsoft platform.)  You can
> even dual-boot the 2nd motherboard running the Microsoft based OS, since one
> often boots the NT or Win95 system anyway.  Then you can run U**X and X by
> default, until you get that ugly Powerpoint file.  One problem with
> running WindowsNT and U**X side-by-side, is that it is easy to get used to
> being able to heavly load a U**X system -- and then trying to heavily load NT,
> and seeing the system hang/crash or whatever (OS Behaving Badly.)  Or worse
> (more often), being used to mouse focus on U**X (which I prefer), then getting
> frustrated using NT's click-to-focus.  That little utilty that allows tuning
> the window manager to change focus method and other things never fully worked
> on NT for me (the 95 version worked on 95 though.)
>
> I have been using the Laola package for .doc files to read, decode them, and
> store them away in a more sane format.  This at least gives some (a little)
> independence from Microsoft tools:
>
> http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~schwartz/pmh/laola.html
>
> --
> John
> dyson@freebsd.org
> jdyson@nc.com

I am wondering how the dual motherboard approach differs from having
two computers using the same monitor, keyboard, mouse, and printer....
except "two computers" implies they're in different cases.  The same
sort of switchbox stuff would be required with either setup, I
think?

And whether it's two motherboards in one case or two "computers",
what one needs to get them to connect--an ethernet card in each,
I think?--is the same?

	Annelise