Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2022 13:17:29 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        Norman Gray <gray@nxg.name>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jail, and specifically iocage, best practices

On Sun, 06 Feb 2022 12:58:50 +0000
Norman Gray <gray@nxg.name> wrote:

> So: am I missing something?  Is there anywhere an article or HOWTO which
> describes the 'what everyone knows' about how to look after jails
> _properly_?

	If you find it let us all know :) The handbook *should* be but it
doesn't go into iocage which currently seems to be the most popular jail
management tool - for good reason I think as I also use it and it has
failed to irritate me enough to make me seek a replacement for several years
now.

	As you've observed it doesn't spare you from needing to understand
what the choices mean it just makes it easy to do the actual work. I know
just enough about it to handle the work I need of it (a bunch of basejails
running applications and a linux jail running a print server because
Brother) running on my NAS box and have an appreciation of what else I
might get out of it should need arise. Even then I save myself skull sweat
and keep a new_jail script around that just takes a name and an IP address
so I don't have to look up the options or think about the basics on the rare
occasions I need to add a new jail to the pile.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>