Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:52:24 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HA/Failover options

Few things:

1)  ipfilter 4 is supposed to do this, but isn't out yet
2)  Wackamole with will handle the failover of a virtual IP.

http://www.backhand.org/wackamole/

	You could use that with ipfilter/ipfw and you'd be pretty good
to go.  If you used a state table on either you'd loose your established
connections, but you'd at least be redundant.  How's that sound?  -sc

> > At 10:06 PM 10/4/2001 -0400, Sean Lutner wrote:
> > >Hello...
> > >I've recently been tasked with coming up with a redundant/failover
> > >firewall solution to replace our managed firewalls. The goal is to have
> > >more control, and spen dless money. So, after some research I decided
> > >FreeBSD with ipfw and vrrp would do the trick. I set out to in stall and
> > >configure everything. I noticed when trying to install vrrp from ports
> > >that it's been tagged forbidden, and confirmed this after searching the
> > >-security archives. The problem I'm running into is this. I grabbed the
> > >code that /usr/ports/net/vrrp would have, and built it, but the
> > >implementation has some problems. Once failed over (slave taking over for
> > >master), it does not fail back without intervention. If you down an
> > >interface with a vrid on it, somehow the vip stays in the interface
> > >causing problems. My basic question is this. Is there anyone else out
> > >there running redundant/failover firewalls using freebsd? If so, what are
> > >you running? I found one other piece of software at http://linux-ha.org th!
> > >  at said would build on freebsd, but no such luck. If anyone has any
> > > ideas, pointers, products, or thwaps in the right direction, i'd
> > > appreciate them.
> > >
> > >Thanks
> > >
> > >Sean
> > >
> > >--
> > >Sean Lutner               | www: http://www.rentul.net
> > >e-mail: sean@rentul.net   | gpg: http://www.rentul.net/sean.sig
> > >
> > >"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

> --
> Sean Lutner		  | www: http://www.rentul.net
> e-mail: sean@rentul.net   | gpg: http://www.rentul.net/sean.sig
>
> "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Sean Chittenden