Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:14:37 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about static libraries and compression

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 13:24, Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:32:04 +0000
>
> Daniela <dgw@liwest.at> probably wrote:
> > I have a problem with linking:
> > When I invoke make, I always give it the -DNOSTATIC option on the
> > commandline to save space. However, this doesn't work. My system still
> > builds static libraries. Or are the binaries linked dynamically, and the
> > static libs are there for nothing? I guess it's safe to delete them,
> > right?
>
> If you *know* no user will ever need them (he is not going to write
> programs which link statically), then it's all right.

The main problem is, I tell the system to link everything dynamically
(-DNOSTATIC), but my system doesn't do it. The binaries are still linked
statically. Did I do something wrong? I always thought it's the -DNOSTATIC
option.

> > Everything is self-compiled, I do not use binary packages at all.
> >
> > Also, I read that the kernel can execute gzipped a.out binaries directly,
> > can the same thing be done for ELF? I need a really small system, because
> > I want
>
> gzexe.
>
> > to boot and run it from CD-ROM.
>
> Try putting the programs in a crunchbox, as it is done on most
> boot-floppies. Man crunchgen, chrunchide, etc.

I think compression and dynamic linking (when I get it to work) will suffice.
Thanks for your help.
It's almost done, just a few minor changes and we're ready to go.