Date:      13 Feb 2000 19:12:58 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bento's report on lang/gcc-devel

 * From: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>

 *         On my latest 4.0-CURRENT, I attempted to check whether
 * lang/gcc-devel was indeed broken as bento.FreeBSD.org says in the latest
 * full run for 4.0-CURRENT. I succeeded in building and installing
 * gcc-devel.

Did you try to build a package?  As you can see on the log itself,
it's dying because pkg_create can't find one header file listed in
PLIST.  (There are three missing headers on 3-stable, by the way.)

Anyway, it still doesn't really mean a whole lot even if you could
package it.  Bento (or rather, the chroot environments used on the
client machines, not the server named bento) tries to be as close to a
prestine installation as possible by using a tarball that contains
bindist, compat*dist, etc., so that people who install FreeBSD can
build the exact same set of ports that bento can.  This system is
usually quite different from the time-hardened hacker's system (like
yours or mine :).

 * 	      So I'm just wondering - in addition to
 * jack@germanium.xtalwind.net's as{mem,mon} ports breaking because of a
 * missing system header.. is bento broken? :\

It could be a problem on your side (old header lying around, etc.) or
a problem on bento's side.  I suggest you (not only you, but anyone
who has a package that builds on your system but not on bonte) take a
full log of your successful build and do a diff with bento's.  That
usually reveals the real situation.

Satoshi