Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 13:20:40 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>, FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tip #1 of the day :-)

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 10:42:24PM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> Then, you find than there is only 2 xterm and a login in your Xwindow.
> So, if you type "xterm" alone in one of the xterm, it will start another
> xterm, but the previous one will not be useable!
> The solution is to start the xterm in background in xwindow:
> ---
> xterm &
> ---

Alternatively, you can suspend the second xterm, then tell it to run
'in the background', which is what adding the ampersand to the command
line does

For example, using tcsh, I can do

   % xterm          <- xterm starts up, this shell is frozen
   ^Z               <- I hit CTRL+Z to suspend the new xterm, which is stopped
   Suspended        <- tcsh prints "Suspended"
   % bg             <- I type 'bg', to put the new xterm in the background
   [1]    xterm &   <- My new xterm is job #1 started from this shell
   % jobs           <- I type "jobs" to see which jobs are running
   [1]    Running                    xterm
   %

You can do the same thing in other shells. For example, the above using
'sh' is pretty similar

   $ xterm
   ^Z%1 Suspended
   $ bg
   $ jobs
   [1] 25939                  xterm

The differences are mostly that when 'sh' prints "Suspended" it doesn't
put a newline first (which is why it appears on the same line as I hit
CTRL+Z) and the jobs command lists the process ID (PID) of the running
xterm.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?