Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 1999 22:14:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        sabre@sabre.dhs.org (Sabre)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Easy NFS problem :/

Sabre wrote,
> ok, I took out the rw (Which I thought meant Read-Write ;)  Now on to the
> UID's :)  I thought that when I put the clients IP in, that the server
> would give full permissions to who ever tried to access it from the
> client.  How do I tell it which uid's to allow when they have seperate
> passwd files (I was going to set this up using NIS, so should I have done
> that first?)
> Sabre

IP address or hostname, the server, by default, calculates permissions
by whatever uid's the clients report, with the exception of root
mapping to nobody. If you are logged into a client and you have uid
1001, that is what the server will use to see if you have permission
to do an action.

If you are going to do NIS, yes, you probably want to do that before
you try to get NFS working perfectly. Once NIS is up, usernames on
both platforms will correspond to the same uid's. That way,
'joeuser' has the same permissions to access files on a NFS client that
he would if he had logged right into the server. That's kinda the
whole idea of these utilities, BTW.

Now, if you _really_ want to make everything on the mounted systems
completely controlled by everyone (and this is not recommended), you
can use the -mapall option and make all users have the permissions of
root on the mounted filesystem.