Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:29:08 +0100
From:      Thomas Keusch <thomas@members.ping.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.shutdown - how is it supposed to work?

Hi there,

today I rebooted my FreeBSD 3.2R server after 70 days of uptime.
In /etc/rc.shutdown I have commands to cleanly shut down squid and
innd, but after the reboot I noticed these commands have not been run.

Grepping /etc/rc* for "shutdown" gives me hits in /etc/rc.shutdown only,
so it is not run by /etc/rc*. The shutdown man page didn't provide useful
information on this either, so I wonder how is this whole thing supposed to
work?

Pardon me if the mailing list archives have an answer to this question,
but www.FreeBSD.ORG seems to be cut off from my location at the moment.
www.de.freebsd.org is there, but it references the archives on the main
site, so it is no help right now.

Any clues/hints appreciated.