Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2004 03:05:31 +0100
From:      "Markus Hoenicka" <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vinum raid5: newfs throws an error

Hi all,

now that I can use the full capacity of my disks, I'm stuck again. I'm
trying to set up a raid5 from three SCSI disks (I know that a serious
raid5 should use five disks or more, but I have to make do with three at
the moment). The configuration is as follows:

drive ibma device /dev/da1s1e
drive ibmb device /dev/da2s1e
drive ibmc device /dev/da3s1e
volume raid5 setupstate
  plex org raid5 512k
    sd length 0m drive ibma
    sd length 0m drive ibmb
    sd length 0m drive ibmc

This works ok. Then I run vinum init to initialize the drives. Trying
to create a filesystem on this construct results in the error message:

newfs: wtfs: 65536 bytes at sector 71130688: Input/output error

Is that trying to tell me that my calculation of the group size is
incorrect? Does it have to do anything with the fact that the three
disks have slightly different capacities?

Vinum reports the disk sizes as 17500MB (da1) and 17359MB (da2,
da3). The raid5 volume and plex have a size of 33GB.

BTW creating a concatenated volume on the same disks works ok, newfs
does not throw an error here.

Any help is appreciated.

Markus
--