Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:23:56 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any workarounds for Verisign .com/.net highjacking?

  For those who don't know what I'm talking about, try executing "host
thisdomainhasneverexistedandneverwill.com", or any other domain you'd
care to make up in .com or .net.  Verisign has abused the trust placed
in them to operate a root name server, by creating wildcard A records
directly under .com and .net, which point to Verisign's "search"
website.

  This kind of abuse, which I don't think was ever anticipated as
coming from an authorized root name server, is busting all manner of
things in DNS.  To name just a couple at this site, it's a bonanza to
spammers because it breaks all the antispam measures which depend on
validating the sender or hello domain, and it's screwing up the
proxy-autoconfigure script for our webcache (which uses Javascript to
check if a domain exists so that the user can get an in-browser error
rather than a web-cache error page on typos) I'm sure there are other
little things that it will break to have every possible .com or .net
domain resolve.  To add insult to injury, the site is slow as molasses
to come up, taking literally minutes to finally appear in a browser.

  I filed a personal complaint to ICANN asking that they revoke
Verisign's right to operate a root name server and to be a registrar
for .com and .net.  (If you think this is overly harsh, check the
requirements for TLD managers given in RFC 1591 and for root name
server operators in RFC 2870.)  Given the rate at which ICANN moves,
maybe I'll get an initial response that they've read my message in the
next 2 years.

  In the meantime I'm trying to figure out if there's some simple hack
to disregard these wildcard A records, short of requesting zone
transfers of the root nameservers (e.g. via peering with
f.root-servers.net) and purging those records out of the zone before

  -- Clifton

--
          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect