Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   802.11 sniffing with Cisco/Aironet card

In my latest set of patches for -stable the Aironet driver with a few
patches to FreeBSD's bpf & libpcap to support 802.11 packets permits
sniffing of raw 802.11 packets.

The patches are at:
	http://www.ambrisko.com/doug/an/
The latest version is
	an.patch.cisco.rfmon2+ifconfig3

Several bug fixes have been applied and some of the ifconfig patches that
Brooks did since if_an.c depends on some of the 802.11 headers that he
did.  Some of the 802.11 monitor code is from Javier work on the Aironet
driver for Linux.  This patch also includes the Cisco driver emulation
(that needs my Linux emulator patch).  I also unified the .h files in
/sys/dev/an so that there are only one definition for things except in
the case where I'm trying to keep the Linux definitions for things
so we can just compile Linux apps. such as the firmware upgrade utility.
There is a sysctl to support tracing and dumping RIDs.

To sniff packets you seem to need version 17a of Ethereal or relatively
recent version from the Ethereal CVS server.  I have a version of
17a Ethereal on my web site in the "an" directory.

Thanks to the people that helped my test this out on -stable.

Doug A.