Date:      Mon, 1 May 2006 09:34:15 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager beep (revisited)

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

On 2006-05-01 02:05, Parv <parv@pair.com> wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
> >This thread:
> >http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-December/020572.html
>
> I hand edited the file (/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.S)
> based on the given patch; did building|installing of world &
> kernel; on reboot of Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop, there still
> was a beep.

Rebuilding everything is hardly worth it in this case, but you
did what you considered the safest thing, so that's ok :)

> So the patch did not work for me.  Did i miss something?

Yes.  You missed installing the new boot0 block on your MBR.

See my other response in this thread about the steps you have to
take to rebuild a new /boot/boot0 block and install it with
boot0cfg on the MBR of your disk :-)

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2--