Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:49:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        winter@jurai.net, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWS: SYM53C1010 and Ultra3 support

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Gerard Roudier wrote ...
>=20
> > > Don't misunderstand: I think getting a better NCR driver is an excell=
ent
> > > development!
> >=20
> > I do misunderstood all of your postings, and btw, if the ncr driver wou=
ld
>=20
> Please!! I am not attacking anyone, especially not you. <Sigh>

I didn't feel attacked. :)

I felt mostly the ncr driver maintainance criticized and I cannot accept
that for obvious reasons even if I wasn't the official maintainer. I felt
that indirectly STefan was attacked and I cannot accept that given that I
know how hard it is to maintain and support (mainly user questions and
reports) such drivers for an O/S and that I have been fortunate to have
found time for that. Without LSILOGIC helping Linux driver development and
user support, it would have been hard for me to port the sym driver to
FreeBSD.

And I was nervous about this 'still another person that wanted a single
driver for all the SYM53C[8/10/15]XX family' thread, since it is obvious
that this is not the first time that such a thread occurs. I have had
strong reasons to take decision of having 2 drivers per O/S and the only
way to convince me I have been wrong can only be _real_ code. Anything
different can only be wasting time for me, since I cannot ignore such=20
topic.

BTW, I need both the Linux ncr53c8xx driver and FreeBSD ncr driver to work
for me since I still use a pair of SCSI-2 devices (IBMS12 and Atlas I)
connected to a 825 controller and a old DEC SCSI-2 disk connected to a 810
controller. This let me quite aware that the ncr* drivers are still to be
maintained in a reasonnable working state.=20

If someone wanted to kill any ncr* driver, it wasn't me at all. Neither=20
I desired to suggest people to criticize any ancient driver that has been=
=20
the greatest driver code I found in 1995 (my opinion still unchanged
nowadays).
=20
> > have appeared to me way broken or too much under-featured I would have
>=20
> It is my impression, but I could be wrong (read the freebsd-scsi archives=
)
> that the complexity and/or difficulty of the ncr driver was spurring the
> development of a successor (sym).

Reading archives is generally boring. ;-)
The ncr driver has had 3 successors and all of these 4 drivers (2 per OS)
are still alive nowadays and there is no reasons to kill or drop any of
them for the moment, in my opinion.

> > NCR has sold its micro-electronic department since about 7 years IIRC.=
=20
> > Advertising NCR when talking about the SYM53C8XX family does not make
> > sense since years. SYMBIOS ingenieers have done a _great_ job in the
> > enhancement of the 53C8XX family and AFAIK the SYMBIOS brand name still
> > exists (you may have a look at LSILOGIC site).=20
>=20
> I know. And we almost lost Symbios to Adaptec too. Fortunately that did n=
ot
> happen.

I fully agree on this point.

G=E9rard.