Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 03:35:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/12878: new port: httperf

>Number:         12878
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       new port: httperf
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

FreeBSD shadow.blackdawn.com 3.2-STABLE FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE #0: Sun Jul 25 01:17:53 EDT 1999     root@shadow.blackdawn.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SHADOW  i386

httperf is a new port. Port shar attatched.

>How-To-Repeat:

Use the shar below.

>Fix:

# This is a shell archive.  Save it in a file, remove anything before
# this line, and then unpack it by entering "sh file".  Note, it may
# create directories; files and directories will be owned by you and
# have default permissions.
#
# This archive contains:
#
#	./Makefile
#	./files
#	./files/md5
#	./pkg
#	./pkg/PLIST
#	./pkg/DESCR
#	./pkg/COMMENT
#
echo x - ./Makefile
sed 's/^X//' >./Makefile << 'END-of-./Makefile'
X# New ports collection makefile for:	httperf
X# Version required:	0.6
X# Date created:		28 Jul 1999
X# Whom:			Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
X#
X# $Id$
X#
XDISTNAME=	httperf-0.6
XCATEGORIES=	net
XMASTER_SITES=	ftp://ftp.hpl.hp.com/pub/httperf/
XMAINTAINER=	andrews@technologist.com
XWRKSRC=		${WRKDIR}/${PKGNAME}
XUSE_GMAKE=	yes
X# there is no "install" target in the Makefile.
X# also, installing relevant help files, as there is no manpage yet.
X# chmod'ing httperf as it could be exploited by normal users to overload
X# a webserver, instead of for its actual purpose.
Xdo-install:
X	@${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/httperf ${PREFIX}/bin
X	chmod 750 ${PREFIX}/bin/httperf
X	@${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/share/httperf
X	@${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/README ${PREFIX}/share/httperf
X	@${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/COPYRIGHT ${PREFIX}/share/httperf
X	@${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/NEWS ${PREFIX}/share/httperf
X	@${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/TODO ${PREFIX}/share/httperf
X	@${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/ChangeLog ${PREFIX}/share/httperf
X.include <bsd.port.mk>
END-of-./Makefile
echo c - ./files
mkdir -p ./files > /dev/null 2>&1
echo x - ./files/md5
sed 's/^X//' >./files/md5 << 'END-of-./files/md5'
XMD5 (httperf-0.6.tar.gz) = d67ee49eb06e14d0bf8dbf5bce954c5b
END-of-./files/md5
echo c - ./pkg
mkdir -p ./pkg > /dev/null 2>&1
echo x - ./pkg/PLIST
sed 's/^X//' >./pkg/PLIST << 'END-of-./pkg/PLIST'
Xbin/httperf
Xshare/httperf/README
Xshare/httperf/NEWS
Xshare/httperf/ChangeLog
Xshare/httperf/COPYRIGHT
Xshare/httperf/TODO
X@dirrm share/httperf
END-of-./pkg/PLIST
echo x - ./pkg/DESCR
sed 's/^X//' >./pkg/DESCR << 'END-of-./pkg/DESCR'
XQuoted from the website below:
X	"This paper describes httperf, a tool for measuring web server
Xperformance. It provides a flexible facility for generating various
XHTTP workloads and for measuring server performance. The focus of httperf
Xis not on implementing one particular benchmark but on providing a robust,
Xhigh-performance tool that facilitates the construction of both micro-
Xand macro-level benchmarks. The three distinguishing characteristics of
Xhttperf are its robustness, which includes the ability to generate and
Xsustain server overload, support for the HTTP/1.1 protocol, and its
Xextensibility to new workload generators and performance measurements.
XIn addition to reporting on the design and implementation of httperf this
Xpaper also discusses some of the experiences and insights gained while
Xrealizing this tool."
X"This paper" refers to the paper that was written on this program. I don't
Xthink I could possibly summarize it better than the above paragraph.
XWWW: http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/David_Mosberger/httperf.html
X- Will <andrews@technologist.com>
END-of-./pkg/DESCR
echo x - ./pkg/COMMENT
sed 's/^X//' >./pkg/COMMENT << 'END-of-./pkg/COMMENT'
XA tool for measuring webserver performance.
END-of-./pkg/COMMENT
exit