Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:15:29 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <seanp@loudcloud.com>, <jgowdy@home.com>, <lplist@closedsrc.org>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com?>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Charles Burns wrote:

> > > Bob's Athlon 1000 may well have been on the exact same silicon wafer as
> > > Joe's Athlon 1300 and Sam's Athlon 800. They test each chip and then
> >mark
> > > them accordingly.
> >
> >	Not really...
>
> I have seen this many times before, not only with my very own CPU but in
> other circumstances ad well. Remember all the press a few years back about
> how a certain marking of P2-300s would overclock to 450MHz and even
> 500--when 450MHz was the fastest P2 at the time? That was a remarking.
> Actually why delve into the past? Take almost any newly manufactured low-end
> or mid-range chip today, even intel chips. Yields have been very good,
> especially for AMD. Quite a few of these chips are remarked well below what
> their test value was. I have heard (but haven't verified at all or seen for
> myself) that some of the latest Athlons of series AXIA and AZIA are labelled
> at around 1500MHz.

	I heard someone actually got one of the AXIA's to hit 2Ghz, don't
know the truth to that one though.

> > > 1200's, AMD will sell 1200's as 900s. They are all the same chips made
> >at
> > > the same time from the same plant (other than Durons) and all cost the
> >same
> > > to manufacture.
> >
> >	Maybe the ones that don't past certain tests are relabeled as the
> >lower end ones...
>
> Do you think that AMD and Intel have a different set of manufacturing
> equipment for each and every CPU revision? How inneficient would that be,
> balancing the production capacity of each one with the market demand. This
> is actually fairly public knowledge. Please feel free to contact either
> manufacturer on the issue... Don't trust me, trust the source.

	Ofcourse not since that would cost a fortune... :)  I guess the
way they do it is like memory, those that don't meet the highest spec and
resold as a lower spec.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin