Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:06:02 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>
To:        Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP over UDP

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2010, at 13:05, Sergey Babkin wrote:
>
> > I've got this idea, and I wonder if anyone has done it already,
> > and if not then why. The idea is to put the TCP logic over UDP.
>
> Have you looked at T/TCP [1,2,3] ?
>
> Dw
>
> 1: http://www.manpages.info/freebsd/ttcp.4.html
> 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T/TCP
> 3: http://people.freebsd.org/~andre/Optimizing%20the%20FreeBSD%20IP%20and%20TCP%20Stack%20-%20Presentation.pdf

It's been a sort of a remote inspiration :-) A major problem
with it (besides the security stuff listed on Wiki) is that
it's implementation is in-kernel, and as such can be used
directly only when the OS has the implementation. There is no
way to write a portable application with it.

Other than that, I'm proposing an opposite approach: why bother
about reducing the cost of the initial connection, if we can
instead just open the connection once and then keep it open
for a very long time at a low cost?

-SB