Date:      Tue, 04 May 1999 15:31:40 -0500
From:      lambert@warped.cswnet.com
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   256MB mail server with 190+MB inactive?

Hi guys,

I've run into something I don't understand.  I have replaced a 64MB mail
server running 2.1.6 with a 256MB server running 3.1-19990218-STABLE.

The 64MB system was running about 9MB into swap at all times and used 20 -
25MB for cache, ~23MB active, 10-15MB wired, and between 490K and 3MB
free.  The rest was inact or buf.  We had a few problems with users timing
out while checking their mail.

The 256MB server went up this morning and is seeing real load for the
first time.  It hung after 5 hours of uptime.  We had to push the reset
button to recover.  It was still responding to pings and would switch
between virtual consoles.  You could enter a username at the login prompt
but would not get a password prompt.  Ctrl-Alt-Del did not work to reload
the box.

Now it's back up and has been up for 3:30.  Current memory stats from top
are:

Mem: 23M Active, 189M Inact, 19M Wired, 12M Cache, 8330K Buf, 6512K Free
120 processes, 118 sleeping.

The rpc.statd process shows to be using 257M with 468K resident.

Most of the other processes are sendmail of sizes < 1532K.

Where did all of my memory go?  I've seen the archives stating that rpc.statd
is known to show un-realistic virtual memory sizes in the 3.x tree.

Also how do I set the video mode to 80x60?

Thanks,
Scott Lambert
lambert@cswnet.com