Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:11:41 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@mcs.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for the PowerMac?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Ron G. Minnich wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Douglas Carmichael wrote:
> > Could it be done by:
> > 1) Porting the "Lites" single server (http://www.cs.hut.fi/lites.html) to PowerPC
> > 2) Running it under Mach (which is already used by MkLinux)
> So run it slow under emulation when native-mode linux is available?
> what's the point? If it won't run as the kernel I can't see any
> reason to do this.

As I remember, Mach (for any "foreign" platform) came up sometime last
year and it was definately decided to not go taht way, or has my memory
gone fuzzy?

> > What would be a good name for this project?
> > MkFreeBSD, FreeBSD/PPC, FreeBSD/MK?
> Hmmm, we have netbsd/ppc, linux/ppc, and I assume openbsd/ppp. What
> does freebsd add? esp. when the last power-pc-based computers have

FreeBSD on PPC would have the same benefits as FreeBSD on Intel?

> been designed? ( the next generation of ppc will be in your car's engine,

PPC computers? Well, starmax 6000 was designed sometime this summer (yes,
it did not make it to selling), PIOS is designing and will continue
to do so, then there are certainly PowerMacs (by Apple, and I do expect
Apple to continue to build PPC based computers, and cloners still alive),
IBM and last but not least Motorola - out of Mac clone buisness, it still
does make *computers* with PPC chips (running AIX for example), embedded
motherboards (could you have 64bit PCI for your penium?) and VME boards,
and most probably will continue.

Besides, PPC is likely to be the next 68K - everywhere and in everywhere's
closet. Not too bad platform to be available for.

> not on your desk. Thank You Know Who for that one). You're not losing much
> by optimizing for the pentium. At the rate we're going, it's the only
> architecture out there (anyone see that the Alpha is probably dead?)

Heh. IA-64 port anyone?

> ron

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.