Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:56:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        itojun@itojun.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/4326

 * 	how about one of the followings:
 * 	- timestamping (already rejected yesterday, I remember)

I think that's the right general direction to go (it has been proposed
many, many times already), but nobody figured out a way to implement
it....

 * 	- include latest bsd.port.mk into somewhere in /usr/ports
 * 	  (or somehow include bsd.port.mk to list of CVSup'ed files for
 * 	  collection "ports-all" ?)
 * 	  Then, we'll do
 * 	  # ln -s /usr/ports/somewhere/bsd.port.mk /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk

bsd.port.mk has branches, so it can't go into the ports tree.
Besides, you don't need the ports tree to build your own ports.

I think changing the fonts of the warning in the ports page, as well
as every single place that refers to cvsup'ing the ports tree might be
the best solution.  Why is it so hard to understand, that the ports
tree is a moving target (like -stable or -current)? ;)

Satoshi