Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/21443: I'm tired of telling people how to copy a disk.

The following reply was made to PR docs/21443; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To: Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:12:39 -0500 (CDT)

 Oliver Fromme writes:
 > Mike Meyer wrote:
 >  > Since I don't use it, I'm not really willing to recommend it myself
 >  > (ditto for pax and cpio). For a number of reasons, I won't recommend
 >  > using it on the root fs.
 > I'd suggest that you have a look at the manual page.  The tool was
 > written by Matt Dillon and Dima Ruban specifically for making an
 > _exact_ copy of a UFS directory tree or file system, including all
 > hardlinks, softlinks, devicenodes, sockets etc., preserving flags,
 > permissions and utimes.

 Oh, I believe it's good stuff. I've worked with both of them before,
 and know what they can do. However, much more than a pointer in a FAQ
 entry seems wrong something in the ports tree.

 > I'm not aware of any reason not to use it for the root FS.

 The odd stuff in /dev is why the root file system gets special
 treatment. While other things can handle them, they do change at
 times. That's why my personal preference is to use dump, which is
 tightly coupled to the fs structure. I feel it's less likely to be
 overlooked when these things change.

 However, the real problem is that cpdup is a port. That means that it
 isn't automatically updated and rebuilt in the process of doing a make
 world. Sometimes, the port doesn't even change - but it needs to be
 recompiled. I've been bit by this with cdrecord, but don't have any
 alternatives :-(.

 	<mike