Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 22:32:12 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, kip@lyris.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

In message <19990601212045.A13137@bell.maths.tcd.ie>, David Malone writes:
>On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 02:15:05PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
>> > Can people live with a one week TCP keepalive as default ?
>>
>> Compromise.  I like it.  One week is certainly adequate for me.  If I
>> leave a link 'active' for longer than that w/out activity, I deserve to
>> lose the link
>
>Surely that violates POLA? That upsets people who have keepalive
>turned on already and find 1 week is way too long. For instance,
>we use keepalive to get rid of stuck netscapes, and we'd probably
>run out of swap or mbufs if it went up to a week. We just managed
>by putting this in rc.local:
>
>sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1

My intent was an "implementation" which would set:

	net.inet.tcp.keepidle: 86400
	net.inet.tcp.keepintvl: 64800
	net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive: 1

Leaving people to set whatever they want for a local policy.

All I'm talking about is what our default should be...

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!