Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:25:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@wemm.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: you need to install a new kernel before an installworld.

In message: <3DBD9672.9000308@acm.org>
            Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org> writes:
: M. Warner Losh wrote:
:
: > Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org> writes:
:
: > : ... 'installkernel' is not filling it's contract: it is
: > : not ensuring that the next boot uses the new kernel.
: >
: > Are you sure you need new bootblocks?  I've not had issues and am
: > pretty careless about when I do installworld vs installkernel.
: >
: > You need them for the 4.x -> 5.0 upgrade, but I didn't think you've
: > needed new ones for a long time now.
:
:
: In case you've forgotten, in another month or two,
: thousands of people are going to be upgrading
: from 4.x -> 5.0.  Those are going to be people
: who don't regularly read -current or even -stable.
: The upgrade process right now is getting pretty
: ugly and needs to be cleaned up some before
: release.

Dude! don't get snotty with me!  I hadn't forgotten.  The instructions
in question were for updating around a specific 5.0 issue.  The
instructions in UPDATING are correct, to the best of my ability to
determine, for the 4.x -> 5.0 upgrade.

You do not need to upgrade your boot blocks for the specific issue
that started this thread.  There were no changes to the boot blocks in
recent history that require this if you are tracking 5.0.

Warner