Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:44:41 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libmp implementation in terms of libcrypto

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:27:27AM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> Attached is a sharball of a libmp implementation in terms of
> libcrypto.  This was discussed on -arch, and the consensus is that
> although it'd be nice if the world used the BIGNUM API directly, it
> can't hurt to be backwards compatible.
>
> I would appreciate it if somebody could review and/or test this.  To
> test it, just build it, install it, and link all programs that use it
> using "-lmp -lcrypto".  Once this is in the tree, the GPV'd libgmp
> monster can be taken out and shot.  I've tested all the in-tree
> programs that use it except for the Kerberized telnets, and they seem
> to work as well as they have before.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 					Dima Dorfman
>
> P.S.  The libmp installed in /usr/lib has major number 3; the sharball
> below bumps it to 4.  Is this actually necessary?

Haven't really tested this, just to answer this question: the library
version bump will only be needed if you decide to install this as libgmp,
not libmp.  In that case, all executables compiled earlier will contain
a reference to libgmp.so.3, and no reference to libcrypto.  Thus, they
would fail with the (new) libgmp.so.3, so there needs to be a version bump.

If this is installed as libmp, then you might as well start over again
with mp.1, and keep gmp.3 in a compat4x distribution or something.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.