Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:17:03 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any particular reason we don't have sshd oomprotected by default?

--=_4ee35c77ecd409f9e475616bcd7da65c

Am 2023-11-09 09:09, schrieb Robert Clausecker:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> I encountered the same issue a while ago, leaving my system in a
> vegetative state.  I would propose to add syslogd and cron to the

syslogd is already protected (at least in 14 and -current).

> list.  Syslogd because when it dies and you don't notice, you may go
> for
> a long time without syslogs, cron because a dead cron means no
> housekeeping tasks happen, including some which the administrator may
> have intended to fix an issue causing an OOM condition (e.g.
> periodically restarting services with known memory leaks or cleaning
> tmpfs-based file systems).

I thought about crond. I agree with your reasoning (I have some cronjobs
which are supposed to fix/workaround some issues which for whatever
reason can not be handled in a better way). On the other hand I disagree
as it can also be the cause of such an oom situation (that's the reason
why I didn't include it in my proposal).

If the general consensus is to add sshd and cron, I offer to do the work
to add it.

Bye,
Alexander.