Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 22:14:53 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        nwestfal@eros.library.csusb.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: route problem with 1104-SNAP

Garrett A. Wollman stands accused of saying:
> > I'm having a problem with a FreeBSD 2.1.0-951104-SNAP system.  When the
> > machine boots, it hangs when it adds the default route (as when you
> > define a defaultrouter in /etc/sysconfig).  If you wait long enough,
> > it will eventually continue and everything is fine.  This seems to be
> > related to DNS, because if I delete /etc/resolv.conf it comes up fine
> > without hanging at all.
>
> It is incorrect to specify a hostname as the default router.  Use an
> IP address.

Or list hosts before bind in /etc/host.conf, and make sure your /etc/hosts
file contains the relevant bootstrapping information.  This is a
particularly good thing to do if your nameserver is a long way away.

> -GAWollman

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[