Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:02:11 -0500
From:      "Matt Gostick" <matt@crazylogic.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   network card probs

Hi,

I've successfully gotten freebsd 4.1.1 onto my Digital HiNote Ultra 2000
laptop w/ x windows working beautifully...  The only thing I can't seem to
get working is my ethernet card.  It's built-in the the laptop as well as
the 56K modem.

Windows reports the Ethernet card as 'Xircom Ethernet 10/00 + Modem 56' on
IRQ 3.

In the kernel config file there's a line with 'xe' as the device and it says
beside it 'Xircom Ethernet'.  Unfortunately... it doesn't 'just work'.

I've tried about as much stuff as I know to do but can't get it working.

In the kernel config file I've tried changing 'xe' to 'xe0 isa? irq3' but
that doesn't work.  Should there be anything in kernel.config?  I've tried
with nothing in there and with 'di xe0\nq', niether worked.

I'm not very experienced with laptops... an don't know much about how they
work.  Would the internal Ethernet card be a PCMCIA card? or a normal card?

Any advice is appretiated.
Thanks
Matt Gostick <matt@crazylogic.net>