Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:28:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bloated rpc.statd

(posted and mailed)

Crist J. Clark wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > Marc Schneiders wrote,
 > > On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Stephen Roome wrote:
 > >
 > > > rpc.statd appears to get quite large, does anyone else have this, or is it some
 > > > curious problem only I get ?
 > > > [...]
 > > > USER     PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
 > > > root   41712  0.0  0.0 262976    8  ??  Is   30Nov99   0:00.00 rpc.statd
 > >
 > > I have this occasionally, also 256 MB, which happens to be the real
 > > memory of my box. It does not come back immediately though. I would be
 > > interested in an explanation.
 >
 > The obligatory "Me too!!" post.
 >
 >   PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 > 68532 root       2   0   257M     0K select   0:00  0.00%  0.00% <rpc.statd>
 >
 > It's supposedly using 257 MB on a system with 24 MB RAM and 80 MB of

No, it is not.  This is really a FAQ and should be in the FAQ.

The VSZ column in ps (SIZE column in top) specifies the
_virtual_ size of the process.  This is _not_ the amount
of memory that the process is actually using.  rpc.rstatd
allocates 256 Mbyte of memory, but only uses some small
pieces of it.  The rest does not take up any system
resources, so there's no reason to be worried.

FreeBSD (and many other operating systems) implement a
memory allocation scheme called "memory overcommit".
This means that a process can allocate as much memory as
it wants, but it does not occupy any real memory (neither
physical RAM nor swap), until the process actually uses
the memory.

It's not a bug, it's a feature!  :)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)