Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:11:38 -0500
From:      "Bosko Milekic" <bmilekic@dsuper.net>
To:        "CyberPsychotic" <fygrave@tigerteam.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SOCK_RAW on BSD

Read below...

-----Original Message-----
From: CyberPsychotic <fygrave@tigerteam.net>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright@cygnus.rush.net>; Mike Smith
<mike@smith.net.au>
Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Tuesday, March 09, 1999 3:52 AM

>~
>~ If you are trying to capture packets you should look at 'bpf', if you
>~ are trying to capture packets in a portable fashion, look at the library
>~ 'pcap'
>~
>
> Yep. Yesterday night I got back to my R.Steven's Unix Network Programming
>biblebook which says in section 25.4:
>
>"Received UDP/TCP packets are never passed to a raw socket. if process
wants
> to read IP datagrams containing UDP/TCP packets, they must be read at
> datalink layer."
>
>This should explain everything. This morning I had a chance to test this
>thing on several Solaris systems (2.5-2.7), and got the same result as on
>BSD. Looks like Linux is the only platform which acts different. Not the
>reason to laugh at it but... ;-)

    Actually, under Linux, one _also_ has to read from the datalink layer in
order to be able to get TCP and/or UDP datagrams. The difference is that
under Linux, one would create a socket of type SOCK_PACKET to be able to
consequently read from it. There are several disadvantages to SOCK_PACKET
(in comparison to libpcap and bpf, for instance) -- such as no kernel
buffering and/or filtering.

    Therefore, to end this thread, as Mike Smith mentionned in an earlier
idea (support for BPF, DLPI, NIT, SOCK_PACKET, etc.)

>Thanks again to everyone who responded, I will probably switch to pcap for
>the sake of compatibility.
>

>regards
>
>~ Fyodor

Cheers,