Date:      16 Jan 2002 16:11:55 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "Dimitri T" <midiostri@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghosting a Win98/FBSD hard disk

"Dimitri T" <midiostri@hotmail.com> writes:

> if not, is there some other ghost program that can do the job?

I don't know "ghost".  You'd be satisfied just copying from disk
to disk (one motherboard, not necessarily via a network), right?

I think you should be able to just do something like "dd if=/dev/ad0
of=/dev/ad1".  At least that sort of thing was said to work on Linux,
IIRC.  The closest I've come to doing that is: 1) copying a Win95
(FAT16?) raw partition to another disk's raw partition from Linux, and
2) storing a tar archive to another disk's raw partition from Linux and
then unarchiving from the raw partition from FreeBSD.

If you think that using dd's "bs" option will speed things up, do some
tests; I've not always found it to help and it may give you problems
at the "end" of the disk, unless you are careful with the other options
so it handles the last, partial block (of the disks and of the dd
stream) correctly.