Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 11:45:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        obiwan!bob@uudell.us.dell.com (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        amurai@spec.co.jp, pst@Shockwave.COM, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: kern/248: scbus attach/probe printf inconsistency

Bob Willcox writes:

> > It's a common information for SCSI bus by each target and card. So I
> > will recommend these information should be saved into common
> > strucuture and and then "scbus" routine show with device identify
> > later. But I prefer to see this information at boot time and by dmesg
> > command because when I supporting a people, it's easy.
>
> I agree very strongly with Atsushi on this.  I use these as visible evidence
> that all the negotiations are going as I expected.  Without them you're left
> in the dark.

There wasn't any proposal to remove this.  I made an observation
that it would be nice to add a "report anything you need to about
this target" call to the host adapter code so that the sample logs
were deferred until the same time as the SCSI system was matching
up drivers.  That is, something like:

> (bt0:1:0): "FUJITSU M2266S-512 001D" is a type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> sd1(bt0:1:0): Direct-Access 1029MB with 2107704 512 byte sectors
> bt0: targ 1 sync rate= 4.54MB/s(220ns), offset=15

That way everything about target 1 is printed in one place.

I'm not planning on doing anything like this.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936