Date:      Tue, 26 Dec 1995 03:23:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   CRITICAL: Problem with most recent kernel sourcces...

Hi...

	Just installed the newest sources onto my 386DX40, and when
rebooting, its being detected as a Pentium Pro *nod*  Of course,
since the kernel isn't configured for one, it comes up as CPU class
not configured, but I'm impressed at how my 386DX40 has grown up :)

	Now, DDB is coming up and allowing me to do a trace, but
I'm not getting a core file on this.

	The trace I get shows:

Debugger()
panic()
identifycpu()
cpu_startup()
main()
begin()

	The kernel was created three times, with the final one being
a straight 'config -g <configfile>'.  The code that generated the
panic (if I follow the trace right) is in i386/i386/machdep.c...

	...has anyone else experienced this?

	I've just tried removing the i486_CPU definition from the config
file to see if it makes any difference, as looking through the machdep.c
code, there is alot of stuff that is ifdef'd in if i486 is defined...
i finally got a smaller kernel out of it, but it still seems to register
my system as Pentium Pro...

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc