Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:49:40 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Chris <bsdnewbie@coolarrow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap size and a zombie

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:10:50PM -0500, Chris wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Looking at a web/email server with the following from "top" ...
>=20
>=20
> last pid: 29494;  load averages:  0.00,  0.00,  0.00   up 85+12:33:05  23=
:07:44
> 39 processes:  1 running, 37 sleeping, 1 zombie
> CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100% =
idle
> Mem: 197M Active, 545M Inact, 176M Wired, 51M Cache, 112M Buf, 33M Free
> Swap: 2048M Total, 184K Used, 2048M Free
>=20
>=20

> Does it look like the swap file is way too big? The box has been
> online for awhile, yet it seems like the swap file is not utilized
> very much at all. For that matter, the server is clearly overpowered
> for what it does, but better than underpowered I suppose.

It's only too much until you actually need to use it ;-)

For example, if you have 2GB of memory then you need a 2GB swap file
in order to take a kernel crash dump, if you ever run into a kernel
bug.  You only have ~1GB of RAM in that machine at the moment, so you
might be tempted to conclude that you have 1GB too much swap, but what
if you decide to add another 1GB of RAM in 6 months time?  You'd have
to reinstall that disk to make room.

Kris

P.S. Please wrap your lines at 70 characters so your emails may be
easily read.

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU--