Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 08:17:11 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Guy Penfold' <bakshish@projectx.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: adding disk controller/harddisk

You would need to make sure you have a kernel with "wdc1" compiled in.  If
you have already re-built the kernel, take a look at the GENERIC or LINT
config files for more information.

If you have never recompiled your kernel, then wdc1 should be enable by
default.  Try booting with -vc to enter the USERCONFIG and check in there to
make sure that "wdc1" is not disabled.

are 2 links that should be of interest to you.  One for browsing the mailing
list archives http://www.freebsd.org/mail/ and one for searching them
http://www.freebsd.org/search/search.html.

Hope this helps.
-Chris