Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:48:22 -0600
From:      Tim Pushor <timp@crossthread.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crystalfontz LCD display from kernel?

Hi hackers,

I originally submitted this question on 'questions' but didn't receive
much response.

I am planning on putting a small 16x2 line LCD panel (crystalfontz 633)
on a FreeBSD system, and writing a small application to control and
display various things via the LCD and buttons. This is fine.

My question is, I would really like to be able to display various things
during startup, shutdown, and once shutdown is complete to the LCD. I
assume I would have to modify the kernel for this. I done lots of C
programming, and hardware interface programming in C and assembler, but
never any UNIX kernel programming.

First of all, is this doable? Also, would it be easier (from the kernel
programming perspective) to do this via USB or Serial?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Tim

(Please CC: me as I am not subscribed to this list - thanks)