Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:40:17 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@FreeBSD.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.x compatibilty.. Was: MFC of rcNG?

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

Julian,

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 01:24:46PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> The reason for having 4.x branch is for 'backwards compaitible' changes
> to be made available to users of 4.x FreeBSD.
>=20
> The only features fo rcNG that can be MFC'd are those that are pure
> additions.=20

Not to pick on you specifically, but have people forgotten how to read?

In my original message I explicitly said:

    I realise it's quite a fundamental change to the startup system,
    but if it made it in to 4.7 as an alternative (so the default
    remains the same) . . .

In other words, all these people with mission critical systems running
stable see zero change.  It would only be those of who did the
equivalent of

    rcng_enable=3D"YES"

(or whatever the variable is) that would get the new functionality.
Giving us the chance to try it out, and test it in production
environments, without needing to learn another way of doing things as
part of the 'cut over to 5.x' process.

Hmm.  When is the existing /etc/rc* system going to be officially
deprecated?  Has anyone thought about that?  At the moment it sounds
like 5.x is going to ship with the new system, and without the old one.
Shouldn't we be doing something like?

    4.7 -- Announce the new system, with the old system as default
    5.0 -- Use the new system as default, keep the old system
    6.0 -- Remove the old system

I'm sure we can bike shed the version numbers at which these events
happen.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--