Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 22:22:00 -0500
From:      greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [FBSD-Q] Type header???

I know this may not be the right forum, but I don't think -current or
-hackers would be any better, so...

Many of us subscribe to several listservs, and as a result receive many
hundreds (or more) of emails a day.  In order to deal with this, various
people use various sorting methods.  Mine are automated (for the most
part), based on the subject line.  With the sole exceptions of this list
and the SMAUG list, all of the listservs to which I subscribe send a
notation header to sort on. For instance, If I send a posting to NT Security
about a new port attack, and put "New Port Attack" in the subject line of
my post, it will arrive from the listserv like this:

[NTSEC] New Port Attack

Obviously, using the subject this way allows people (often me as well,
depending on what area of the shop I'm working in that day) who can't
filter automatically by sender or relay points to scan the subjects quickly,
and thereby determine if the mails can wait, or whether a given email may
be customer related.

FBSD-Q is a truly high volume list, and I enjoy the opportunity to both read
and occasionally help out on it, by the sheer volume of posts makes sifting
a real necessity!  Is there any way you guys would consider going to a
modified header/subject line???

Please?  :)

Thanks Either Way...

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

(Please direct all flames on this to /dev/nul, thanks.)