Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:35:08 mst7mst
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.3R <--> win95

On 25 Nov 00 at 23:08, Jim Durham wrote:

>Duke Normandin wrote:
>
>(snip)
>
>> I realize that my scenario is not the *usual* way! However, I use a free
>> ISP that insists in having users run his proprietary win95-only software.
>> His dialer does not even show up in $MS DUN window. So Internet
>> connections have to happen from the win95 side -- as far as I can tell. It
>> would be great if I could run Lynx from the FBSD box and trigger a
>> connection in the win95 box - but I've been told that win95 can't do that
>> ( I believe that the correct terminology is that it cannot "route").
>>
>Well, that's a bummer... but OK, I understand...
>>
>> >What does the ep0 interface connect to?
>>
>> It connects to my win95 NIC via a x-over cable. As of 11:57:35 PM last
>> night, I am now able to successfully ping from both ends.
>
>That is a good sign... Now I'm getting the picture. I thought you
>were doing "lap link".
>

>> ep0: flags=8843<UP.BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>         inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
>>         ether 00:60:97:0c:c4:5e
>> tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>          inet 10.0.0.1 --> 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00
>>

>So, does "ps ax" shows an instance of PPP running that is being started
>by some means that you don't know, if I get the picture?

Exactly....

>Did you look for a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d ?  . Any script in
>there is run at boot time.

>The 10.0.0.1 / 10.0.0.2 address pair are probably being assigned in
>/etc/ppp/ppp.conf. It just sounds like something is starting up
>ppp. If you don't have it started in /etc/rc.conf, then it's gotta
>be in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

I never did! but I will.... Other that "un-hooking" ppp from IP addresses
and having it use tun0 only, I'm in "high-cotton", cuz once I kill the ppp
PID, I can now telnet/ftp from my win95 box to the FBSD one. ;))

There should be a way to set thingd up on the FBSD side so that if I want
to dial out to your system e.g. (on which you have given me a temp. shell
account) I can do so; AND have Samba do it's thing across my LAN with no
interference from ppp/tun0. Am I correct in assuming this possibility?

>The only other possibility I can think of is that someone modified
>/etc/defaults/rc.conf so that it enables it by default. You might
>look at that file.

I checked that as well....no joy.

{snip}

>I don't know if it would help you, but there is some sort of gatewaying
>available in Win98. One of my clients that I built a server for used it
>to connect his office computers to the internet. He must not have been
>all that thrilled with it, because he bought a server from me, but I
>guess it worked. Maybe it would somehow work with the stuff your ISP has
>you running.

I'll be searching the 'net for a solution. Thanks!

-duke
Calgary,Alberta, Canada