Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 1998 16:21:22 +0200
From:      "Stefan Bethke" <stefan@promo.de>
To:        Muthu <MOLAGAPP.IN.oracle.com.ofcmail@in.oracle.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any print server available on freebsd?

--On Die, 7. Apr 1998 15:36 Uhr +0330 Muthu
<MOLAGAPP.IN.oracle.com.ofcmail@in.oracle.com> wrote:
>    This may be simple question. Is there any print server available on
freebsd
> which can contact with printer in the network?. Basically in my
environment,
> the printer is given a ip address. I want a daemon running on freebsd
(server)
> which Q's the print requests from all the client machines and send it to
the
> printer. The client can run lpd with /etc/printcap configured as the
server ip.

What exactly, then, do you mean by "print server"? FreeBSD already includes
lpd, which is both capable of both receiving and sending jobs via remote
LPR. "man lpd" will tell you more.

On the other hand, if your pinter is already connected to a network, and it
doesn't speak rLPR, look at /usr/ports/net/samba and /usr/ports/net/netatalk
for alternative protocols for sending and receiving print jobs.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18