Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:57:48 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: win managers

leegold wrote:

> can anyone recommend a simple and well documented (i need more than man
> pages) win manager.
>
> so far i have tried windowmaker, fvwm2, fvwm95, kde.
>
> i am looking for something simple, w/SUPPORT AND DOCUMENTATION, fvwm is ok

What?! Support AND documentation! You're asking a lot here :-)

WindowMaker is easy. It does have good documentation, but it is out of
date. However, updated docs are being written as we speak. Informal
support is readily available. It is a different way of working from some
other window managers, so it may take a bit of getting used to.

You might try Enlightenment. It is easy, though somewhat baroque. It has
decent docs on the window manager. Although editing the menu is akin to
fvwm, it does detect a lot of your installed software, so you don't need
to edit it much. A menu editor is in the works.

Documentation is the big bugaboo of Open Source. Open Source developers
loathe writing documentation, to the point that I actually saw a man
page announce "this man page is no longer being maintained, see the info
pages", and then the corresponding info page was a copy of the man page!

David