Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 18:32:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS / softupdates interaction problems?

> Under heavy write load,  the FreeBSD-current NFS server complains
> repeatedly of problems like the following:
>
> ffs_fsync: dirty: f749a880: type VREG, usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 1023, flags (VOBJBUF)
>         tag VT_UFS, ino 7937, on dev 21, 2 lock type inode: EXCL (count 1) by pid 293
>
> (pid 293 is an nfsd).
>
> These messages stop if I turn off softupdates, or if I set
> vfs.nfs.async=1 (or, obviously, if I compile w/o DIAGNOSTIC).  This
> only happens with remote writes, local writes do not trigger this
> case.
>

> Occasionally I'll get a crash like the following.  I've seen this
> stacktrace on -current, so I guess its a known problem.

[ ... ]

> Cannot access memory at address 0x1c5e10bb.

I am unclear here, so I suspect others are as well.  Does the crash still
occur regarless of your soft updates/vfs.nfs.async settings, or is the
crash cured by the same cases where the messages are cured?

Ie: is the crash a soft updates problem or an general problem?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.