Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:10:38 -0400
From:      "Matt Thomas" <cdt4668@bellsouth.net>
To:        "Jaime" <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE is about as stable as windows98

Jamie,

I guess that could be the problem but I'm not too sure how to go about
checking to see if the hardware is bad.  It seems to be running fine with no
problems.  It's a p3-550 with 296 megs of RAM.  I have yet to see a problem
with it, so I was assuming it was the OS.  I had seen a msg from a jim
flowers awhile back talking about this problem and it seemed like it was a
known problem, let me paste the msg in here for ya. It reads as follows:

I noticed in cvsuping RELENG_4  day before yesterday it came back as
4.1-RC.  Does that also address the network stack panics?

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ranked ISP on C|NET #1 in Ohio

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Paul Saab wrote:

> There are known panics in the network stack in 4.0-RELEASE.  You should
> really upgrade to 4.1-RELEASE.
>
> paul
>
> Jim Flowers (jflowers@peony.ezo.net) wrote:
> > We have been using fbsd 4.0-RELEASE on a number of router applications
> > (IPV4).  Recently we have switched to new hardware and now we get fatal
> > faults periodically.
> >
> > Typically these run with a minimum kernal using ipfw and natd and not
much
> > more.  32 MB memory.
> >
> > Does this indicate that my new hardware is probably not going to work
with
> > fbsd 4.0?
> >
> > Anything I can do to find out
> >
> > message on fatal fault ---------------------------
> >
> > Fatal Trap 12: Page Fault While In Kernel Mode
> > Fault Virtual Address                   =0x8
> > Fault Code                              =Supervisor Read, Page Not
Present
> > Instruction Pointer                     =0x8:;0xc018c370
> > Stack Pointer                           =0x10:0xxc470ee3c
> > Frame Pointer                           =0x10:0xc470ee44
> > Code Segment                            =Base 0x0, Limit 0xfffff,Type
0x1b
> > Processor Eflags                        =Interrupt Enabled,Resume,IOPL=0
> > Current Process                         =171 (Ping)
> > Interrupt Mask                          =
> > Trap Number                             =12
> > Panic:Page Fault

So From what I gathered it was a network stack problem.  I ran this same
exact hardware and configuration on 4.0-STABLE for atleast a 90-100 day
uptime.  I just don't know what to believe anymore, if it was a KNOWN
network stack issue or if it is just incompatible hardware with 4.1.  Sigh,
I just want to get this ironed out so I know I won't wake up in the morning
with a downed server, Thanks for your time jaime, looking forward to hearing
more on the subject.

Matthew Thomas