Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:24:13 +0200 (West-Europa (zomertijd))
From:      Rogier Steehouder <r.j.steehouder@student.utwente.nl>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [FBSD-Q] strange ifconfig up behaviour

Mail from Matthew Emmerton, sent 19-04-2001:

> How in the heck did this card magically get assigned an IPv6 address?
> Later, when I do an 'ifconfig rl0 down', the flags are changed, but the
> inet6 address stays, and I'm unable to remove the address from the
> interface.

IPv6 autoconfiguration. Every nic gets a link-local address starting with
fe80::. Then it will add a semi-random unique number to that (usually the
mac address?). This address can then be used to aquire a global address
from the nearest router.

Do a web search on IPv6 autoconfiguration. (or don't use IPv6) (or don't
worry about it)

with kind regards, Rogier Steehouder

--
-O_\ Rogier Steehouder                                //
/ \  http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.j.steehouder/ //  \