Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 23:13:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Log file systems? (Was: Re: dual 400 -> dual 600 worth it?)

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:

[snip]

>> Also -- and this is just curiosity, why did we go with soft updates
>> instead of finishing lfs? Aside from the fact that soft updates
>> appears cleaner than lfs, is there any outstanding superiority of one
>> over the other?
>
>These are FAQs - instead of wasting peoples cycles in explaining it again

I'm sure you're right, but I couldn't find the answer in the FAQ I
supped this morning. Is there a different FAQ?

>you'd probably be better served just checking the archives. Terry has
>posted about it extensively in past threads.

Terry's posts did answer a number of questions. Specifically that lfs
and soft updates both could only roll a file system back to a known
good state -- instead of a journaled file system which is capable of
rolling forward to a known state. Neither lfs or soft updates
appear to have much to do with journaling. Still, I didn't find
anything that explained the decision to go with soft updates. Perhaps
I missed the relevant threads. Were they prior to '98?

Sorry for wasting your cycles.

-- Jay