Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 2004 01:50:39 -0400
From:      Parv <parv@pair.com>
To:        Matt Juszczak <matt@atopia.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CDRW trouble

Replying to BSDjunkie's message in order to reply to OP as i do not
have OP...

> Matt Juszczak <matt@atopia.net> wrote:
> >
> > deputy# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 1 data [some iso] fixate
> > only wrote -1 of 32768 bytes err=5
> >
> > fixating CD, please wait..
> > burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCFIXATE): Input/output error
> > Console displays WRITE_BIG and CLOSE_TRAC/SESSION errors using
> > burncd.
> > Running 4.10-RELEASE.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

Well, i got the same error a few hours ago which surprised me as
burncd(1) worked on FreeBSD some before version 4.10-p2 just fine w/
the all the same relevant hardware.

Google led me to...

  - Same problem as mine, no resolution:
      http://groups.google.com/groups?th=b1d5200b25098ae6

  - PR, otherwise useless:
      http://groups.google.com/groups?th=b81d9b7f1152cfb1

  - Problem w/ resolution (finally!):
      http://groups.google.com/groups?th=bb6c5bef4dc625a0

...so after bloating^Wchanging the kernel as listed in the last
thread, i was able to burn CD in [SD]AO mode w/ the following
command...

  #  "speed" & "dev" are specific to my CD-RW drive
  cdrecord -v -dao speed=4 dev=1,0,0 -data <iso file>

If interested, below is some more relevant data for my situation
(FreeBSD 4.10-p2 on Dell Inspiron 5000e)...

  - Output of "cdrecord -scanbus":
    scsibus1:
      1,0,0   100) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX700E  ' '1.4h' Removable CD-ROM

  - Kernel configuration:
      http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/cf/freebsd/kern.atapicam.05sep2004

  - Dmesg:
      http://www103.pair.com/parv/comp/unix/err/dmesg/dmesg-4.10-p2-2004.06.30.17.33.59