Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2018 22:51:09 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Filippo Moretti <filippomore@yahoo.com>
Cc:        gecko@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem compiling firefox 12-Stable amd 64

Filippo Moretti via freebsd-gecko <freebsd-gecko@freebsd.org> writes:

> checking rustc version...=C2=A0DEBUG: Executing: `/usr/local/bin/rustc
> --version --verbose`DEBUG: The command returned non-zero exit status
> -12.DEBUG: Its output was:DEBUG: | rustc 1.30.1DEBUG: | binary:
> rustcDEBUG: | commit-hash: unknownDEBUG: | commit-date: unknownDEBUG:
> | host: x86_64-unknown-freebsdDEBUG: | release: 1.30.1ERROR: Command
> `/usr/local/bin/rustc --version --verbose` failed with exit status
> -12.=3D=3D=3D>=C2=A0 Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.Please report=
 the
> problem to gecko@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
> the"/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/.build/config.log" including the
> output of thefailure of your make command.

Did you look inside config.log for clues?

> Rust was installed from pkg as it will not compile:being told I need more=
 ram than my mobo will allow.

Prebuilt rust package may not be compatible with your environment. Make
sure rustc can build something trivial e.g., "fn main() {}". Otherwise,
you're venturing into unsupported territory by mixing ports and packages.
For best support use what the package cluster does i.e., poudriere.
And if you don't have enough RAM to build something use swap partition,
preferably on a fast storage like SSD.

Also, why not use "pkg install firefox"?