Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 2002 22:11:13 -0500
From:      Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Chuck Swiger wrote:
<snip>
> If one sends a message that could not be delivered, an error report
> (called a DSN) is returned, describing the problem.  People sending
> legitimate email know who they've sent mail to, right?  And when they
> get DSN's, as you most probably did, you talk to your ISP, etc, etc.
>
> How many bounced messages are you talking about, approximately?  Would
> you be willing to give those individuals a phone call to talk about your
> message, instead, or ask their postmaster to change their spam-filter to
> let your mail through?

In this case, the package configuration puts 'spam' in a separate folder
and doesn't send a bounce message.  I may not get feed back until and
unless I do a follow-up call.  A follow-up call is not always possible.

> [ Because that's basicly what it all comes down to, all of the advocacy
> for or against regulation aside.  FWIW, I block three /16's under
> 16.0.0.0/8, but yours wasn't one of them-- I checked.  Bah...I'm getting
> 1000+ dictionary scans from DSL pools in .br a day. ]
actually my block is 66.45.116.136/29.  Temporarily, I can't post to
this list from one of those addresses -- but that is another story and
is fixable.