Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2015 11:32:40 +0100
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch to bsd.ports.mk to support out-of-tree patches.

Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>:

[...]
>          esac | ${PATCH} ${PATCH_DIST_ARGS} `patch_dist_strip $$i` ; \
>      done )
>  .endif
> +.if defined(EXTRA_PATCH_TREE)
[...]
> +.endif
>  .if defined(EXTRA_PATCHES)
>      @set -e ; \
>      for i in ${EXTRA_PATCHES}; do \
>

> ============

Nice. I'd however change the patch behaviour to the following:

- patch-* from FreeBSD
- EXTRA_PATCHES from FreeBSD
- local patches

Your patch looks like it appleis the out-of-tree patches prior
to any EXTRA_PATCHES defined by the port itself. This should not be
the case, in my opinion. Locally managed patches should always come
last to ensure that all FreeBSD/maintainer-specific bits have been
applied and the local changes are just added on top of those.

Cheers
Marcus