Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:22:51 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers - recommendations

On 28 Sep 2000, at 21:29, John Galt wrote:

> > The reason why ATAPI CD-ROM burners are so sensitive to CPU load is
> > that they don't support disconnection or tagged queueing, so commands
> > must be sent sequentially and the CPU must wait for them to complete.
>
> So IOW IDE devices throw an interrupt whenever they're operating, SCSI
> devices throw an interrupt only whenever the host adapter is starving for
> commands.  Sounds exactly like what I wsas saying in the first place, just
> using proper terminology...

And this is the main reason why I'm going to go for a SCSI cdrom
burner.  I'm not sure which one yet, but Plextor seems to be the fav.
And Ricoh.  I've been looking at

http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq05.html#[5-1]

as a source of information.

Also, since I'll be using cdrecord, I've been reading

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/pri
vate/cdwriters-1.9.html

Thanks for those that have contributed.
--